Homework 1 (15 points)
This introductory assignment is designed to give you a chance to become familiar with Microsoft Access and database tables.
- Homework Tips
- Chapter 1 Guided Exercise (Pages 3-5)
- Chapter 2 Guided Exercise (Pages 12-15)
- Chapter 2 Applied Exercise (Pages 16-17)
E-Assign Homework Management System
- Register an account at E-Assign.com using your UB email address.
- Obtain the electronic textbook materials for this class using the correct course code listed below:
- UB students: Use course code 20189351
- UB Singapore Institute of Management students: Use course code 99189351
- When prompted, select your correct course section from the dropdown list.
- Download the textbook pdf and personalized data file(s) provided for each homework assignment.
- Complete the homework assignment using the Access data files and then upload the completed files to E-Assign.com.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT HOMEWORK SUBMISSIONS
- Make sure to close the Access database file before uploading to avoid the mistake of submitting a "locked" database file (.laccdb). The .laccdb file appears when the database is opened, and disappears when the database is closed. Submissions of locked files will receive a score of 0 unless the correct file (.accdb) has been uploaded prior to the due date/time.
- Assignment files may be submitted multiple times to E-Assign, but only the most recent, on-time file submissions will be graded.
- Submitting work or data files that are not your own is considered a violation of academic integrity. Students found in violation will be dealt with according to the procedures outlined in the official UB Policy of Academic Integrity.
- Upload the completed StudentRoster.accdb and Employees.accdb database files to E-Assign.com prior to the due date and time. Late submissions automatically receive a score of 0.
- Upload the questions from page 18 in your textbook to E-Assign.com prior to the due date and time. Please make sure your name and person number is included on the top of the page. No credit for Guided Exerises will be awarded if this is not submitted on time.
- Page 16 Step 5 - If you forget to uncheck the option for Hide Key Column, only the TitleName field will display in the dropdown and you can’t run the Lookup Wizard again without deleting the relationships between the two tables. Since we haven’t covered how to do that yet, here is a workaround to fix this problem. Open the Employees table in design view and go to the Lookup properties tab for the TitleCode field. Change the Column Widths property to 1”;1” and the List Width property to 2”. The Employees table should now show both the TitleCode and TitleName fields in the dropdown list for the TitleCode field.